Born from rocket science, the Smith Institute uses advanced mathematics, AI and data science to help customers do some amazing things – like preparing the electricity grid to meet net zero targets, optimising satellites in the sky and making sure your favourite shop stocks enough cold drinks on a hot summer’s day.
We are looking for a Senior Project Manager with energy and enthusiasm to create long-term, trusting relationships with customers and colleagues. You will manage several projects at any one time which will demonstrate your organisational skills, as well as your ability to communicate and motivate others.
At Smith Institute, project management requires leading the planning, development, management, and delivery of projects. As well as building strong relationships with our customers to understand their needs and requirements, you will also communicate with and engage necessary staff to ensure that specific projects are conducted with integrity and in line with budget and customer expectations. Project Managers should aim to lead the team so that the entire project operates smoothly from start to finish.
Specific project management duties include the following:
- Working with colleagues to support the development of new business opportunities and the preparation of proposals for new projects
- Being a project management mentor to support and guide new or less experienced project managers
- Maintaining appropriate risk management records for live projects
- Undertaking project audits with the QA Manager and responding to any observations or non-conformances.
In general, duties include but are not limited to the following activities:
- Promoting positive working relationships with the customer and our project teams; working alongside Account Managers to engage with clients and manage expectations
- Planning, influencing, and supporting the delivery of great project outcomes for our customers; ensuring project work and deliverables are completed to appropriate quality standards
- Allocating tasks between project team members in conjunction with the Technical Lead, where possible based upon the team’s technical preferences and development goals
- Being adaptive and dealing effectively with changes as they occur, and where possible pre-empting changes required to enhance our customers’ experience of working with us
- Reviewing and reporting progress against time and budget; providing up to date resource forecasts & end of month project checks; monitoring and managing project risks; participating in the project management group’s fortnightly meetings
- Identifying and sharing lessons learned with colleagues and promoting lessons learned in future work
The successful candidate will exhibit the following attributes:
- Minimum 3 years’ experience as a project manager
- quantitative background at degree level
- experience in customer engagement, giving great presentations
- experience delegating
- demonstrable ability of managing and motivating a team remotely, understanding customer requirements and proofreading reports
Desirable attributes also include:
- PM qualification (Prince2 / Agile / APM)
- MS Project experience
- Sector experience in Energy
- Experience in software or technical consulting business
Salary range: £45,000 – £50,000 + performance related bonus and generous company pension contribution. Salary to be based on qualifications and experience.
Why work at the Smith Institute?
- Flexible working for all – work your contracted hours at times that best suit you and our customers, at home, in the office or as a mixture of both
- Health and well-being support – the Smith Institute provides up to three months’ contractual sick pay, have qualified Mental Health First Aiders, a Mindful Employer Plus membership and offer additional leave allowance to care for close family members
- Social events – most months our Social Committee organise events and we also have ongoing activities, including pub socials, a book club, a fantasy football league and a board games library
- Employee benefits – employee discount platform and Employee assistance programme
- Enhanced leave – bereavement, dependency, maternity, paternity & shared parental leave
- Mentoring – from colleagues and leading academics
- Generous pension scheme with Life Assurance and income protection
- All IT equipment provided and maintained
- Interesting and challenging work with purpose
Excited to be part of our business? Email us your CV and covering letter, explaining why you are the best person for this role, at firstname.lastname@example.orgApply