The Smith Institute for Industrial Mathematics and System Engineering wishes to appoint
Full-time Mathematical / Statistical Consultants
- Would you like to use your mathematical and statistical expertise to address some of the most challenging problems in business and industry?
- Are you excited to design and build solutions in data science, machine learning, optimisation, forecasting and analytics for high-profile clients across a diverse range of sectors?
- Would you like to join a team of inspiring people?
- Do you share our core values of clarity, creativity, motivation and integrity?
The Smith Institute uses mathematical modelling and computation to bring fresh thinking to the challenges faced by our clients across business and industry. We are at the forefront of the industrial and business applications of mathematics, statistics and data science. Recent solutions have covered areas as diverse as balancing supply and demand on the electricity grid, ensuring the safety of nuclear reactors, forecasting the effect of weather on consumer demand, and verifying the integrity of multi-billion-dollar spectrum auctions.
To meet continuing growth in opportunities for our cutting-edge solutions, we are looking to expand our capability in mathematical and statistical modelling.
- Collaborate with teams of experts translating mathematical ideas into practical reality.
- Work directly with clients to understand their needs and design the mathematical or statistical solutions that best address them.
- Implement these solutions in ways that deliver real customer value.
- Contribute actively to developing business prospects, creating proposals for new work, and building great client relationships.
- Be part of guiding our future intellectual growth in emergent mathematical, computational and statistical techniques.
- Academic excellence at first degree level and preferably also at higher degree level in mathematics, statistics, or a related numerate discipline.
- Demonstrable experience of applying mathematical and statistical techniques in an industrial or business environment, including an appreciation of the factors that lead to successful outcomes.
- Strong programming skills, preferably in Python or R, and the ability to capture mathematical and statistical models in software.
- Motivation to succeed in tackling high-value business challenges, and the ability to work effectively with clients to understand their needs.
We provide career development opportunities within the Smith Institute, in directions that include technical leadership, project management and business development.
Further particulars are available from email@example.com. Please note that the Smith Institute is not in a position to sponsor visa applications for foreign nationals.
To apply please send a full CV, including the details of two referees, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications may be held for up to 6 months. You may request deletion of your application sooner by emailing email@example.com.
We operate an Equal Opportunities Policy. We currently have a rolling recruitment programme so applications will be reviewed as they are received, with a view to interviewing shortlisted candidates promptly. We seek to make appointments as soon as successful applicants’ current commitments allow.Apply