The Smith Institute for Industrial Mathematics and System Engineering wishes to appoint Mathematicians / Statisticians / System Engineers as full-time Mathematical Interns for 4-6 months paid placements.
Would you like to use your mathematical expertise to address some of the most challenging problems? Would you like to join a team of inspiring people?
Do you share our core values of clarity, creativity, motivation and integrity?
The Smith Institute uses core expertise in mathematical modelling and applied statistics to bring fresh thinking and new solutions to the challenges faced by our clients. We are at the forefront of the industrial and business applications of mathematics, with key client relationships in performance engineering, algorithm design, risk modelling, optimisation and data analytics.
The Institute is currently looking to expand its team, in response to opportunities to grow the use of mathematical sciences in industry and government.
We wish to hear from applicants with strong academic records in some branch of the mathematical or computational sciences (higher research degrees such as Masters or PhDs are preferred) coupled to a strong motivation to work on high-value business challenges. Prior experience of applying scientific techniques in an industrial or business environment is desirable but not essential.
Successful candidates will also have the personal skills needed to work effectively with the Institute’s clients and partners, including in the UK’s leading universities. It will be essential to combine a broad technical knowledge with an eye for understanding client requirements and recognising new business opportunities. All the Institute’s staff contribute actively to developing business prospects, creating proposals for new work and building great client relationships.
It is important that applicants are motivated to work effectively without the need for close supervision. We anticipate making a number of appointments with the ambition that interns will be offered full-time positions at the conclusion of their studies. We provide career development opportunities in technical leadership, business development and project management. We also provide mentoring from members of our Scientific Board.
Further particulars are available from email@example.com. The Smith Institute is not in a position to sponsor visas.
To apply please send a full CV and covering letter, including the details of two referees and your availability, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications may be held for up to 6 months. You may request deletion of your application sooner by emailing email@example.com.
Why work at the Smith Institute?
- Flexible working for all – work your contracted hours at times that best suit you and our customers, at home, in the office or as a mixture of both
- Health and well-being support – the Smith Institute provides up to three months’ contractual sick pay, have qualified Mental Health First Aiders, a Mindful Employer Plus membership and offer additional leave allowance to care for close family members
- Social events – most months our Social Committee organise events and we also have ongoing activities, including pub socials, a book club, a fantasy football league and a board games library
- Employee benefits – employee discount platform and Employee assistance programme
- Enhanced leave – bereavement, dependency, maternity, paternity & shared parental leave
- Mentoring – from colleagues and leading academics
- Generous pension contribution – with Life Assurance and income protection
- All IT equipment provided and maintained
- Interesting and challenging work with purpose