We are looking for an HR Advisor who can provide efficient high quality HR advice, partnering with managers to support initiatives which drive employee engagement. The job purpose extends to supporting employees and line managers on issues concerned with employment terms and conditions, HR policies and protocols.
Key HR Advisor responsibilities include:
- Involvement in the full range of HR tasks relating to the employee life cycle with a generalist approach to providing HR advisory support.
- Providing generalist advice on HR best practice whilst mitigating risks.
- To keep abreast of employment law and proactively recommend good practice initiatives.
- To support managers with questions relating to HR policies and procedures including absence management, capability, disciplinary and grievance processes, escalating and seeking external advice where appropriate.
What does an HR Advisor do?
As an HR Advisor at the Smith Institute you will be the first point of contact for line managers, employees and stakeholders for queries on HR policies, procedures and practices. You will update and Improve policies and processes and create new ones. The job is varied and can be unpredictable and you will need to troubleshoot issues as they arise, working with internal stakeholders and partnering with external employment law advisers in more complex cases.
At the Smith Institute we harness mathematics to solve the complex operational and commercial challenges facing our client industry sectors.
Our core company values are clarity, creativity, motivation, support and integrity and the Smith Institute is proud to be a Mindful Employer with two of our colleagues being MHFA England certified Mental Health First Aiders.
- Working with managers to develop and update job descriptions and person specifications.
- Delivering HR related training in conjunction with the Staff Development Lead and coaching managers to improve capability.
- Liaising with the Smith Institute’s DPO to ensure any processing and retention of HR records is conducted appropriately and in line with data protection laws.
- Handling employment relations cases in partnership with external employment law adviser(s) and providing advice on HR best practice whilst mitigating risks.
- Supporting recruitment activities and assisting with the process of inducting and onboarding new starters.
- Conducting exit interviews and compiling periodic anonymised feedback to share with stakeholders.
- Handling employment relations cases in partnership with external employment law adviser(s).
- Graduate member of CIPD or equivalent level of experience.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills with the ability to communicate confidently with colleagues.
- Problem solving.
- Previous experience advising managers on HR policy and ER cases.
- A knowledge and understanding of how employment legislation applies in practice.
- Commercial awareness and keen to play a part in the growth of the company.
- Approachable and adaptable with excellent attention to detail.
- Motivated and proactive, with the emotional intelligence to handle sensitive situations tactfully.
- Willingness to work independently and as part of a team.
- Willingness to actively contribute to developing business prospects, creating proposals for new work and building secure client relationships.
- A commitment to continuous professional development, coupled with a willingness to engage with training opportunities as they arise and an eagerness to acquire new knowledge and skills.
If you would like to progress with your HR career and join a hardworking, friendly team please email us your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. In your application, you should refer to the job description and person specification explaining how you meet the requirements of the job. Person specification and further particulars are available upon request.
The Smith Institute is committed to a policy of equality diversity and inclusion, treating all its employees and job applicants equally regardless of protected characteristic. We currently have a rolling recruitment programme so applications will be reviewed as they are received, with a view to interviewing selected candidates when sufficient numbers are shortlisted. We hope to make appointments as soon as possible thereafter.Apply