Job Title: Business Development Manager – Security and Telecommunications sector
Job Location: Oxford/Remote
Born from rocket science, the Smith Institute uses advanced mathematics, AI and data science to help customers do some amazing things – like preparing the electricity grid to meet net zero targets, optimising satellites in the sky and making sure your favourite shop stocks enough cold drinks on a hot summer’s day.
We are looking for Business Development Managers with specific experience in the security and telecommunications sectors to create long-term, trusting relationships with customers and prospects.
Reporting to the Commercial Director, you will develop new business from existing clients, actively seek new sales opportunities in security and telecommunications, and manage a portfolio of customer accounts.
- Generate new business leads within specific sectors by understanding the customer market, our value propositions and core capabilities
- Convert business leads into opportunities to propose and win contracts
- Build and maintain strong, long-lasting customer relationships
- Oversee customer account management, including negotiating contracts and agreements to maximize customer benefit and company profit, building trust, and identifying strategic opportunities for growth.
What does a Business Development Manager do?
Business Development management responsibilities include identifying and developing new opportunities for business, building strong long-term relationships with customers, connecting with key business executives and stakeholders, keeping our customers satisfied and engaged with our evolving services and preparing growth plans and sales reports. In this role, you will liaise with internal teams (including technical and marketing) to improve the entire customer experience. All of our staff work flexibly, from home and/or from our Oxford office. We expect that this position will require some travel to meet customers as required, mostly in the UK.
Smith Institute and our strengths in Security and Telecommunications
At the Smith Institute we harness mathematics to solve the complex operational and commercial challenges facing the telecommunications and security sectors.
We use mathematical modelling and data science to deliver insight into issues of national security.
We design and verify optimisation algorithms that assure spectrum regulators that their spectrum auctions are designed and implemented correctly.
- Follow the principles of Miller-Heiman strategic and conceptual selling
- Develop new business with existing and new clients and/or identify areas of improvement to meet sales targets
- Serve as the lead point of contact for all customer account management matters in security or telecommunications
- Build and maintain strong, long-lasting client relationships
- Negotiate contracts and close agreements to maximize customer benefit and company profit
- Develop trusted relationships with key accounts, customer stakeholders and executive sponsors (coaches)
- Work with Project managers to ensure the timely and successful delivery of our solutions according to customer needs and objectives
- Clearly communicate the progress of monthly/quarterly initiatives to internal and external stakeholders
- Track and report key account and sales metrics (examples include repeat business, new customers, number of different contacts in different divisions with same customers, profitability by customer, engaged customer feedback)
- Assist with challenging client requests or issue escalations as needed
- Proven work experience as a Business Development Manager or Account Manager in the security or telecommunications sectors with the ability to demonstrate a good understanding of the issues affecting the sector (minimum 2 years)
- Demonstrable ability to communicate, present and influence key stakeholders at all levels of an organisation, including executive and C-level
- Experience delivering complex client-focused solutions to customer needs
- Proven ability to manage multiple accounts at a time, while maintaining sharp attention to detail
- Excellent active listening, negotiation, and presentation abilities
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Degree in mathematics, physics, or other quantitative discipline
£40,000 – £50,000 + performance related bonus and generous company pension contribution. Salary to be based on qualifications and experience working in the security or telecommunications sector.
If you are familiar with customer relationship management software (CRM), have a flair for client communication, understand client behaviours and have a desire to meet and exceed client and company expectations, we’d like to hear from you. Candidates for this role will be expected to meet ambitious individual and team-wide sales targets. Email us your CV and covering letter, explaining why you are the best person for this role, at email@example.com
We operate an Equal Opportunities Policy. We currently have a rolling recruitment programme so applications will be reviewed as they are received, with a view to interviewing selected candidates when sufficient numbers are shortlisted. We hope to make appointments as soon as possible thereafter.
Why work at the Smith Institute?
- Flexible working for all – work your contracted hours at times that best suit you and our customers, at home, in the office or as a mixture of both
- Health and well-being support – the Smith Institute provides up to three months’ contractual sick pay, have qualified Mental Health First Aiders, a Mindful Employer Plus membership and offer additional leave allowance to care for close family members
- Social events – most months our Social Committee organise events and we also have ongoing activities, including pub socials, a book club, a fantasy football league and a board games library
- Employee benefits – employee discount platform and Employee assistance programme
- Enhanced leave – bereavement, dependency, maternity, paternity & shared parental leave
- Mentoring – from colleagues and leading academics
- Generous pension scheme – income protection & death in service benefits
- All IT equipment provided and maintained
- Interesting and challenging work with purpose