Business Development Manager – Energy (Net Zero & Energy Transition)
Reporting to: Commercial Director
Smith Institute – Experts in Decision Intelligence and AI
Are you driven by the prospect of shaping a sustainable energy future using cutting-edge data science and AI? Smith Institute is seeking a dynamic Business Development Manager with solid experience in the energy sector, who can build partnerships and grow meaningful relationships with some of our most important clients.
The energy landscape is rapidly evolving, demanding innovative solutions in digitalisation, decentralisation, and decarbonisation. These challenges present unique opportunities for system/network operators, generators, suppliers, consumers, and beyond.
Advanced mathematics, data science, and AI are pivotal in navigating this terrain – key to optimising energy usage, integrating renewable sources, efficiently balancing the grid, and devising novel solutions to complex challenges.
Why Smith Institute?
At Smith Institute, we are at the forefront of applying advanced mathematics, data science, and AI to empower our clients. Our team of mathematical experts provides bespoke consulting services, addressing complex challenges, improving decisions, and accelerating innovation. In the energy domain, our contributions have been instrumental for clients like National Grid Energy System Operator and Scottish and Southern Electricity Networks.
- Drive business growth by crafting and executing a comprehensive business development strategy for the energy sector, including prospect identification and engagement plans.
- Stay abreast of energy market trends, challenges, and opportunities, developing a deep understanding of this important and changing space as well as our clients’ strategic goals.
- Leverage your network and communication channels (LinkedIn, events, direct outreach) to build robust relationships within the energy sector.
- Employ a client-centric approach, asking great questions and devising best-fit solutions to meet prospect/customer needs.
- Collaborate with our technical consultants to formulate compelling proposals that align with client objectives, highlighting our unique value proposition.
- Manage the entire business development cycle: prospecting, pitching, negotiating, closing deals, overseeing project delivery, and developing expansion opportunities.
- Utilise our CRM tools effectively for activity tracking, relationship management, and pipeline management.
- Work in tandem with our marketing team to develop relevant content and enhance our visibility and reputation in the energy sector.
- Help us continuously refine and innovate our offerings to meet the evolving needs of the energy sector.
- Bachelor’s degree (BA/BS) or above, preferably in a STEM-related field.
- Minimum 2 years of experience in business development, sales, or transferrable – preferably in the energy sector.
- Experience in or knowledge of data science, analytics, and AI.
- Demonstrated success in achieving business targets, pipeline development, and consistent sales activity.
- Able to create shared visions with prospects and customers, building consensus across various groups.
- Skilled in proposal development, negotiation, and closing deals.
- Familiarity with sales methodologies such as MEDDICC, Miller Heiman, Sandler, etc.
- Exceptional communication, presentation, and relationship management abilities.
- Independent, proactive thinker with high energy and a positive outlook.
Why Join Smith Institute?
- Opportunity to use your expertise to make a real impact.
- Work with globally renowned clients in diverse industries.
- Competitive salary and bonus scheme.
- Generous pension scheme with Life Assurance and income protection.
- Flexibility in working hours with home or hybrid working.
- Enhanced parental leave.
- Health and wellbeing support.
- 25 days annual leave plus bank holidays.
Please send your CV and covering letter, detailing your skills, qualifications and interest in the role, to email@example.com.
Smith Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our ongoing recruitment program invites applications to be reviewed on a rolling basis, with interviews arranged for select candidates.Apply