Reporting to: Commercial Director
Salary: £40 – 50k, DOE, with performance-related bonus and generous pension contribution
Born from rocket science, the Smith Institute is a team of consultants who use advanced mathematics, analytics and AI to help customers do some pretty amazing things – like preparing the electricity grid to meet net zero targets, optimising satellites in the sky and making sure your favourite shop stocks enough cold drinks on a hot summer’s day.
We are looking for an experienced Business Development Manager to join our team. Reporting to the Commercial Director, you will be responsible for casting a wide net to find and develop new business relationships. You will prospect, develop, and close business with a focus on client requirements. You will develop rapport, ask good questions, deliver strong pitches and proposals, and negotiate agreements to help us expand our client base.
If you are an independent, energetic professional with experience managing a complex sales process, we’d love to hear from you.
- Achieve business development targets on a quarterly and annual basis.
- Developing a BD strategy in your sector with target prospect list and activity plan.
- Become an expert in the market, staying on top of current trends and the needs of target customers.
- Develop a deep understanding of our services, capabilities and value proposition.
- Make use of your network, LinkedIn, events, phone and email to build and maintain relationships with new customers.
- Take a client-centric approach to selling, adapting your style to suit the buyer’s needs, goals and preferences.
- Work with technical consultants to craft winning proposals that are tightly connected to customer goals and objectives.
- Handle all stages of the business development process– prospecting, pitch, proposal, negotiation, and close.
- Make good use of our CRM to track activity, log conversations, nurture relationships and manage pipeline.
- Collaborate closely with marketing to ensure we have the right content to support customers in their buying journey.
- Proactively help us develop and adapt our offer to meet evolving client needs.
- BA/BS required
- 2+ years of business development or sales experience generating new business
- Strong writing, communication, and presentation skills
- MBA or Masters/PhD in STEM-related discipline
- Experience in energy, transport, FMCG, pharma, telecommunications or national security
- Experience selling data science, analytics, machine learning, AI or other analytical solutions
Why work at the Smith Institute?
- Purpose and profit – Make a positive impact on people and planet. As a company limited by guarantee, we reinvest profits to create more impact and focus on a double bottom line.
- Flexible working for all – Work your contracted hours at times that best suit you and our customers, at home, in the office or as a mixture of both.
- Health and well-being support – Benefit from up to three months’ contractual sick pay, qualified Mental Health First Aiders, a Mindful Employer Plus membership and additional leave allowance to care for close family members
- Social events – Join our ongoing activities – pub socials, a book club, a fantasy football league and a board games library.
- Employee benefits – Take advantage of our employee discount platform and employee assistance programme.
- Enhanced leave – There when you need it – bereavement, dependency, maternity, paternity & shared parental leave.
- Mentoring – Grow your career with mentoring from colleagues and leading academics.
- Generous pension scheme – Secure your future with generous employer contribution, income protection & death in service benefits.
Email us your CV and covering letter, explaining why you are the best person for this role, at firstname.lastname@example.org
We operate an Equal Opportunities Policy. We currently have a rolling recruitment programme so applications will be reviewed as they are received, with a view to interviewing selected candidates when sufficient numbers are shortlisted.