Reporting to: Commercial Director
Salary: £40 – 50k, DOE, with performance-related bonus and generous pension contribution
Help us solve the biggest challenges
We are a team of innovators and problem solvers who use advanced mathematics, data science and AI to help customers do some amazing things – like preparing the electricity grid to meet net zero targets, optimising satellites in lower earth orbit or using AI to develop life-saving medical innovations. With flexible working, an inclusive environment, and a comprehensive health and wellbeing package, Smith Institute is a fantastic place to work.
“Working with Smith Institute was like talking to NASA engineers.” – FlushTech
About the role
We are looking for a Business Development Manager to join our team. Reporting to the Commercial Director, you will be responsible for using effective, industry-specific networking strategies to find and develop new business relationships. You will prospect, develop, and close business which meets client requirements. You will form strong relationships, ask good questions, deliver winning proposals, negotiate agreements, and build successful long-term partnerships to help us grow our client base.
If you are a proactive professional who has an interest in devising solutions for some of the greatest challenges of our time as well as a passion for working with people, we’d love to hear from you.
- Achieve business development targets on a quarterly and annual basis.
- Develop a business development strategy for your sector.
- Become an expert in the market, staying on top of current trends and the needs of target customers.
- Develop a deep understanding of our services, capabilities, and value proposition.
- Make use of your network, LinkedIn, events, phone, and email to build and maintain relationships with prospects and customers.
- Take a client-centric approach to matching solutions to challenges, adapting to meet stakeholder needs, goals and preferences as necessary.
- Work with technical consultants to craft winning proposals that are tightly connected to customer goals and objectives.
- Handle all stages of the business development and account management process – networking, starting conversations, pitching, writing proposals, negotiating, navigating to closed won, supporting successful project delivery, and growing our long-term collaboration.
- Make good use of our CRM to track activity, log conversations, nurture relationships and manage pipeline.
- Collaborate closely with marketing to ensure we have the right content to support customers in their buying journey.
- Proactively help us develop and adapt our offer to meet evolving client needs.
- Bachelor’s degree or above
- 2+ years of business development, sales, partnership management, innovation, or related experience
- Education or experience in energy, net zero, energy transition, smart cities, digital transformation, health, or pharma
- Education or experience with data science, AI, mathematics, or other software solutions
- Strong writing, communication, and presentation skills
What you’ll get from working with us
- Opportunity to use your expertise to make a real impact.
- Work with globally renowned clients in diverse industries.
- Competitive salary and bonus scheme.
- Generous pension scheme with Life Assurance and income protection.
- Flexibility in working hours with home or hybrid working.
- Enhanced parental leave.
- Health and wellbeing support.
- 25 days annual leave plus bank holidays.
Email us your CV and covering letter, explaining why you are the best person for this role, at email@example.com
We operate an Equal Opportunities Policy. We currently have a rolling recruitment programme so applications will be reviewed as they are received, with a view to interviewing selected candidates when sufficient numbers are shortlisted.