The Executive Administration & HR team work at the heart of our business, supporting all staff to ensure that the company continues to run smoothly. The Smith Institute is growing and so we are looking to appoint another Administrative Assistant to join our fantastic team of capable and motivated staff.
The successful applicant will provide reliable, efficient and effective administrative support, working initially for 15 hours per week, with the potential for duties, responsibilities and hours to increase over time.
Responsibilities: Initial duties will include but not be limited to:
Office Management – maintain a well presented and organised office environment to ensure comfortable and effective working and a good impression for visitors and staff.
- Order and manage office stationery and kitchen supplies, ensuring adequate stock levels.
- Act as a point of contact for the office managing agents, addressing or re-directing office-related queries or concerns.
- Coordinate with cleaning staff, maintaining a clean and organised office environment.
- Receive and manage deliveries, including team lunches, ensuring timely and accurate distribution.
Communication and Coordination – develop a cooperative working relationship with the immediate team, all staff and external stakeholders through effective, accurate and timely communication.
- Respond promptly and efficiently to various ad-hoc administrative tasks requested by management and staff.
- Collaborate with the HR & Staff Engagement Manager on non-confidential HR administrative tasks to support HR operations.
- Distribute whole-staff announcements and updates promptly and effectively.
- Represent the Executive Administration and HR team at our Oxford office in a face-to-face capacity, escalating or redirecting queries as appropriate.
Financial Administrative Support – support the delivery of end of month financial information as directed.
- Assist in basic financial administration tasks as directed, including credit card reconciliation and checking staff expense claims.
Location: Willow Court, West Way, Oxford. OX2 0JB, with the opportunity to undertake some of your hours at home. Please note that due to the nature of the role, we require the successful applicant to work from our Oxford office at least two mornings per week (Mondays and Wednesdays).
Hours: 15 hours per week (3 hours per day, AM), with some flexibility, but certainly to include Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.
Salary: £24,000-£25,000 pro rata, plus a bonus provision dependent on personal and company performance.
– Exceptional organisational skills with the ability to “think on your feet”, multitask and work with accuracy and pace.
– A self-starter who can work independently. The Institute’s staff work flexibly from home and our Oxford office. Applicants must be able to work effectively in a team orientated but distributed environment.
– Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal and be comfortable in communicating and working with all staff and Directors. Furthermore, as a first point of contact in some cases, successful applicants will have a confident, professional and friendly manner.
– A positive, flexible “can do” attitude to support all staff effectively.
– Proficiency in computer applications (MS Office suite, email, etc.).
– Ideally, proven experience in a fast-paced support role or similar environment.
– Ideally, an interest in developing your career at the Smith Institute. As the business grows there will be opportunities for the right candidate to increase their hours and responsibilities.
About Us: We currently have a team of 50 staff and Directors working to apply mathematical techniques to solve some of the most challenging problems faced by business and government.
Why work at the Smith Institute?
Health and well-being support – the Smith Institute provides up to three months’ contractual sick pay, have qualified Mental Health First Aiders, a Mindful Employer Plus membership and offer additional leave allowance to care for close family members
Social events – most months our Social Committee organise events and we also have ongoing activities, including pub socials, a book club, a fantasy football league and a board games library
Employee benefits – employee discount platform and Employee assistance programme
Enhanced leave – bereavement, dependency, maternity, paternity & shared parental leave
Mentoring and personal development – from colleagues and external providers
Generous pension scheme with Life Assurance and income protection
All IT equipment provided and maintained
Interesting and challenging work with purpose
Application procedure: For your application to be considered, please send your cover letter and CV to email@example.com with the subject Admin Assistant Application.Apply